Learn the basics of how Rails allows you to upload files to a cloud storage service like Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft Azure Storage then attaching those files to Active Record objects.
Who is this for?
• Beginners and anyone interested in learning about Rails Active Record
• Ruby on Rails developers who haven't used Active Storage
• Ruby on Rails fans
We are going to build a simple web application that allow users to store files to a cloud storage service.
• Laptop that is WiFi capable. Instructor will be using a Mac, but will assist Windows users as much as possible. Linux- you're on your own.
• Access to a command line utility
• Rails 5.2 So, please upgrade to the latest version
• Code editor (I will be using RubyMine)
• Web browser
• Storage Cloud Account ( Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft Azure Storage)
• What is Active Storage?
• Why use Active Storage?
• Build basic app together with uploading capability
• Enable app to connect to Storage Cloud Account *if time allows
• We will not go into comparing Active Storage with existing solutions, be it CarrierWave, Paperclip or Shrine, but rather try to make a beginner-friendly introduction to the framework
• Due to time, we won't be able to go through each storage cloud example of setting up Active Storage
Feel free to pack dinner or drinks as well! Don't code hangry.
Venel Rene is a software developer at Salesforce. He is a graduate of the Iron Yard very first cohort. He resides in Tampa, FL with his lovely wife and two dogs. Aside from coding and technology, his passions center around coaching and mentoring inner city youths.
More about the Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild at https://suncoast.io/academy
CODE WITH US!
Apply at https://suncoast.io/academy/apply