Join us for a Crash Course on Kubernetes 101, we are excited to host John Wynkoop as he walks us through the basics of Kubernetes!
Attendees will walk away with:
- Entry-level understanding of Kubernetes and container orchestration
- Understanding of basic Kubenetes concepts such as Deployments, Pods, Services, ConfigMaps, etc
- Knowledge of how to deploy a sample application to a Kubernetes Cluster
- A high-level overview of more advanced Kube topics: autoscaling, metrics, service mesh, helm charts
- Experience deploying a managed Kubernetes cluster on Google Cloud (GKE)
This is a combination of lecture and lab, students will be doing about 1.5hrs of actual, hands-on work on GKE.
- Laptop with Internet Access
- Google Cloud Account (with $300 free credit)
- Previous experience with Google Cloud and the Linux command line is helpful, but not required.
- Come ready to learn and ask questions!
- What is Kubernetes
- A Brief History of Kubernetes
- What it does
- What it doesn’t do
- Cluster architecture
- Containers and Pods
- Deployments, StatefulSets, DaemonSets
- ConfigMaps and Secrets
Putting it together (Hands-On)
- Start a cluster
- Install a demo application
- Connect to your demo application
- Scale your application manually
If there’s time (Hands-On)
- Configure your application with a configmap
- Scale your application with an HPA
About The Instructor:
John has done almost every job in tech, including writing his fair share of terrible code. From supercomputers to clouds, he’s passionate about building large scale distributed systems that make the world a more connected place. When he’s not building things, you can usually find him giving a technical workshop or speaking about modern DevOps practices.
Feel free to pack dinner or drinks as well!
Learn more about the Academy at Suncoast Developers Guild at https://suncoast.io/academy
CODE WITH US!
Apply at https://suncoast.io/academy/apply