What we're about
is becoming acquainted with environment, no matter where one happens to be. Man does not suddenly become aware or infused with wonder; it is something we are born with. No child need be told its secret; he keeps it until the influence of gadgetry and the indifference of teen-age satiation extinguish its intuitive joy."
- Sigurd Olson, Former council member, The Wilderness Society
From the Wilderness Society website (http://wilderness.org/article/famous-quotes)
Discover wilderness as a way to connect to nature, to others and to yourself.
The purpose of this meetup is to build a community of learners that want to explore wilderness. As we go out together, we will share our knowledge and to learn from each other. As our skills and experience grow, so will our opportunities for greater wilderness experiences.
• Every outdoor event posted will have an educational objective in addition to the actual activity.
• Outings will be progressive. That means some outings will be the building blocks (certification) for more difficult outings.
• We will strive seek the "awe" in the wilderness experience.
• We will be open to new challenges and new places beyond what we are already familiar with while understanding that going a little farther, a little higher, a little steeper, leads to greater rewards.