You'll need to read this whole description and watch the video for the two secret words which will allow you to join. One secret word is in this description, the other is at the end of the video.
The Wineopotamus Bloat. What does it all mean? Wineopotamus is similar to our old name of Wineoceros which was a name made up for a TV show our previous organizer had in DC called The Wineoceros Show. Wineopotamus is pronounced like hippopotamus but starts with a "Wineo" instead of hippo.
Why Bloat? A group of hippopotamus is called a bloat. Who knew?! So we're a bloat of wine drinkers and lovers who like to gather for a good time. For our event a good time involves - wine, good conversations, games and being considerate. So we require the following (with bolded phrases being paramount):
1. First and foremost, this is a wine group so one must drink wine at our events. If you don't want to do that, this group is not for you.
2. To facilitate conversation, and to avoid that awkward moment of not remembering someone's name, we use name tags. Your first name goes on it and then below it, an answer to the question of the day.
I'll send the question of the day out by email the day of the event and I'll post it on this website under the event description also. Please make sure you know the question when you arrive at the event. Fun, thoughtful answers really make a difference as far as interesting conversation!
3. We drop corks at most event. Enthusiastically participating in cork dropping is important. If you win at cork dropping, you’ll get a new car... or something else. I can’t even count how many new cars were given away since the Bloat’s inception, but even if you don’t win the car, you will win a prize valued at $5 or more to take home with you.
4. And this is kind of obvious but still worth mentioning, if you RSVP and can’t make it, change your RSVP to No… especially important since at most events attendance is limited. Last minute cancellations or no-shows will result in your removal from the group.
If you bring a guest, please make sure they are aware of the above requirements.
5. While many of the attendees are single and join to meet someone to date, this is not meant to be a dating group. The Bloat is about drinking wine, playing games, talking and having fun.
Women, if a guy bothers you or is overly persistent, please let me know and I can remove the guy instead of you just not coming back again. And guys, refrain from asking out a gal or asking for her number on her first visit (and maybe her second too) to the Bloat. Let her ease into the group for Pete's sake. :)
6. We don't charge an upfront membership fee to give you a chance to attend an event to see if you like it. Once you have attended an event, there is a $10 annual fee to be in the group and attend the events. The $10 is peanuts compared to the money you save on wine and food at the events plus the chance to win valuable prizes!
7. You can bring a person one time as a guest for free. Then, they can either join and pay the annual fee or continue coming as a guest and pay $5 each time.
You can arrive and leave our events at any time. We're usually at a venue for two to three hours.