What we're about
Upcoming events (2)
In your own home, at your own leisure (*anytime* -- not just the date of this event): now you can learn a ton in the online portion of Disaster + Travel + Wilderness First Aid! COURSE TOPICS VIDEOS are almost exactly as MEDIC SOLO always presents them with the latest on disaster and wilderness medical science. Intermixed at several points we guide you to practice various skills.
Choose one of two ways to learn:
A) On-line only- view our 7-hour course at home, do the self-guided practice and receive a certificate of completion. Fee: $105.
This option, more INFO and REGISTRATION / TO GET STARTED: www.solowfa.com/online-course.htm
B) Blended learning-view our 7-hour course at home NOW, and receive a 3-year credit to attend one of our in-person dtWFA classes in order to practice skills learned with one of our seasoned instructors. Upon the successful completion of the in-person class, you will receive a 2-year SOLO WFA certification. Fee: $220.
This option, more INFO and REGISTRATION / TO GET STARTED: www.solowfa.com/blended-learning.htm
Sneak peek at the course:
• "Fantastic online program."
• "The quality of teaching and the personality of each instructor was ABSOLUTELY STELLAR. There is a lot more to learning than just the textbook curriculum, especially with medical situations."
• "It was much less stressful having the opportunity to be taught on my own schedule rather than having two intensive days."
• Much appreciation for the ability to click "pause" to take notes and write down questions (which MEDIC will answer), and ability to rewind and replay demonstrations, explanations, etc. -- can't do that in a live class.
• Full transparency, all feedback surveys, unfiltered: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18qcXYJt-CUoLW0hqLtFRmGv7H858iflrq7fguSk6zfM/edit?usp=sharing
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Let's all please do our part to maintain social distancing, and do what we can to prevent problems and treat injured people, so as to reduce demands on hospitals. Exercise outdoors, where allowed, is great to boost your immune system; however we've found many people on trails are not respecting social distancing when passing by. If you decide to go out, when you see someone you'll pass by, please proactively step off trail at least 6 feet. Try to leave no trace as best you can, stepping only on durable surfaces like bare rock when possible. Thanks!
Now is a time when your dtWFA skills may be needed most.
• Hospital beds are filling up and we need to reduce their demand. If with dtWFA skills you treat someone and they no longer need to go to the hospital, fantastic and so helpful in many ways.
• Some parks are seeing their highest-ever mid-week daytime visits. More people are outdoor adventuring and most don't have the skills you're considering learning, and may be in need especially as more first-timers go explore the outdoors.
• Hopefully the following will never happen: fewer EMTs staffing ambulances and thus a call to 911 for medical assistance is less responsive, or outbreaks occur within hospitals and those entire facilities end up being quarantined and unavailable ... leaving it up to dtWFA-trained folks to provide care.
Thank you everyone, for all that you do to strengthen our communities, making disaster and wilderness areas safer for all.
Kilimanjaro is one of the 7 Summits - and the highest peak in Africa. It's completely non-technical but what makes it challenging is the altitude. More than anything, a climb up the peak of Kilimanjaro is a mental game.
As part of the mission of Equity Global Treks, we are organizing a Kilimanjaro trek to elevate the roles of women as porters and guides.
This is A JOIN-IN, FIXED DEPARTURE, CO-ED trek led by female guides and a co-ed expedition staff. We will have a mix of male and female guides and porters as part of our mission to create inclusion and equity in the industry via the non-profit human rights organization, The Porter Voice Collective (https://theportervoicecollective.org/).
TRIP DATE: DECEMBER 17-27, 2021
DAY 1 - ARRIVAL AT KILIMANJARO AIRPORT
DAY 2 - VISIT TO PORTERS' COMMUNITY
Today, we meet some of our porters and visit an actual community to learn more about their families and community. We encourage full immersion and interaction between our clients and the trekking team as a way to educate travelers about the realities of working as a porter and how you can be an ally in improving the current industry practices on the trails. Take this as an opportunity to become a more responsible tourist. In the afternoon, we do gear preparation.
DAY 3 - MOSHI (915 m/3,000 ft) to LONDROSSI GATE (2,250 m/7,380 ft) to LEMOSHO GLADES (2,000 m/6,560 ft) to MTI MKUBWA CAMP (2,750 m/9,948 ft)
DAY 4 - MTI MKUBWA CAMP (2,750 m/9,498 ft) to SHIRA CAMP 1 (3,500 m/11,485 ft)
DAY 5 - SHIRA 1 CAMP to MOIR CAMP (13,800 ft. / 4,205m)
DAY 6 - MOIR CAMP to LAVA TOWER (15,190 ft. / 4630 m) to BARRANCO CAMP (13,044 ft./ 3,975m)
DAY 7 - BARRANCO CAMP to KARANGA CAMP (13,106 ft./ 3,995m)
DAY 8 - KARANGA CAMP to BARAFU CAMP (15,331 ft./ 4,673m)
DAY 9 - BARAFU CAMP to UHURU PEAK (19,341 ft./ 4,750m)
DAY 10 - MWEKA CAMP ~ MWEKA GATE (6,000 ft. /1,830m)
DAY 11 - FLY HOME
This is a STRENUOUS trek. Recent hiking and/or backpacking experience is highly recommended. You will need to prepare in terms of cardio workout and consult with your doctor prior to joining the trip given the high altitude reaching up to almost 6000 meters / 20,000 feet.
$3375 per person
Group size: 1-8 PAX
A non-refundable deposit is required to book. Balance is due 45 days prior to the departure date. Single supplement: $150 for 3 nights Hotel stay in Moshi. For our join-in group departures, as a precaution against COVID-19, solo travelers will be provided with a solo tent. For solo hotel stay, a single supplement fee applies. Private tours with your date of choosing are available upon request. Send us an email via [masked].
TO LEARN MORE & BOOK YOUR SPOT, GO TO THIS LINK: https://www.browngaltrekker.com/egttanzania/kilimanjaro-climb-via-lemosho-route
Portable toilet tent.
3 Nights Hotel accommodations in Moshi.
Transportation to and from your selected route.
Transfer from Airport/Bus station in Moshi on arrival and return to airport/Bus station after climb.
Quality, Waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tent.
Quality Mess tents with table and chairs.
Certified, experienced, English speaking mountain guides.
All Tanzanian National Park Fees.
Government Climbing Taxes.
All hot Meals prepared by our cook while on Mountain.
Guides, Porters and Cook Salaries.
Fair and ethical treatment of Porters.
Enough porters to carry your luggage
Safety Equipment: Emergency Oxygen and Pulse Ox meter
Hot drinks at every meal.
Water provided on climb, mineral water for the first day and boiled water every day.
Emergency rescue fees
Personal Summit Certificate signed by the National Park and your Guide
I will be scheduling a Zoom meeting to discuss the trek with those interested. Make sure to RSVP.