addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Mailing List Archive

Subject Sender Date
PGDay Austin 2016 Saturday, November 12 -- "Everything's Bigger in PostgreSQL" - Hi folks! I wanted to extend a personal invitation to our PGDay Austin 2016 this Saturday at Galvanize. We still have plenty of seats at PGDay Austin, and have added Python-related topics --         Debbie C. Nov 9, 2016 1:26 PM
Re: [python-188] Reminder: November meeting next week, call for presentations! - Your answer goes here On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 12:09 PM Peter Wang < [address removed] > wrote: Dustin U. Nov 9, 2016 12:27 PM
Re: [python-188] Reminder: November meeting next week, call for presentations! - Hey Elliot, this would be great!  Let's plan on it. Anyone else want to do a lightning talk this evening? Thanks, Peter Peter W. Nov 9, 2016 12:05 PM
Re: [python-188] Reminder: November meeting next week, call for presentations! - Hey Peter, I could finally show my Numpy based vectorized entity component system (ie, data oriented design) library if there is still space to speak.  I have a new laptop so hooking up to the projector shouldn't be a p Elliot H. Nov 5, 2016 8:54 PM
Reminder: November meeting next week, call for presentations! - Hey everyone, Our November meetup is next Wednesday!  This is our last meetup of the year, as our December event will be the Austin Web Bash ( https:/ Peter W. Nov 2, 2016 3:22 PM
Compensation Data + Jobs - Hi All, Step.com is a platform that lets software engineers and product managers anonymously receive feedback and  Jennifer C. Oct 26, 2016 3:12 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Thanks Craig, very interesting, I’ll get back with you later.   On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 Dorothy H. Oct 25, 2016 11:29 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Your algorithm calculates each subset, and then checks to see if it sums to zero, correct? In this case, it cannot be a polynomial algorithm. This is because the set of subsets of a given set (called the power set) is of size 2^n where the Craig D. Oct 25, 2016 11:10 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - According to Leonid Levin I think my algorithm is written in polynomial-time.  However, I do not think the problem is the algorithm but the architectural design underneath it.  Dorothy H. Oct 25, 2016 1:39 AM
Call for presentations/talks for October meetup! - Hey everyone, Our October meetup is this coming Wednesday! At our last meetup, we had a fun variety of short talks from various members in attendance, and so I *know* that many of you are doing co Peter W. Oct 10, 2016 5:04 PM
RE: [python-188] Seeking Position - Brooke H. Oct 6, 2016 11:46 AM
Seeking Position - Hello All my Python and R programming People: I did tell everyone that I would come back to the meetups if I gone a job in the field.  I am letting Dorothy H. Oct 6, 2016 11:31 AM
RE: [python-188] Newbie question: How do I easily view the structure of a Python package/module/class? - Paul M. Sep 10, 2016 10:54 AM
Re: [python-188] Newbie question: How do I easily view the structure of a Python package/module/class? - Jeremy, this is amazing! Thank you so much. If I'd asked on SO I'd add a bounty just so I could pay it to you. On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Jeremy Boyd David S. Sep 9, 2016 1:55 PM
Re: [python-188] Newbie question: How do I easily view the structure of a Python package/module/class? - tl;dr: PyCharm has lots of tools you can use for discovery/exploration. Don't bother reading this if you're not at least considering using PyCharm. While dir is helpful in an interactive context, it&# Jeremy B. Sep 8, 2016 12:21 AM
Re: [python-188] Newbie question: How do I easily view the structure of a Python package/module/class? - python import os dir(os) On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 9:22 PM, David Staab < py Dale E. M. Sep 7, 2016 5:54 AM
[Volunteer Opportunity] Code2College seeking volunteer instructors - Hi All, Matt S. Sep 6, 2016 10:42 PM
Newbie question: How do I easily view the structure of a Python package/module/class? - I'm working through the Django tutorial in PyCharm, and I find that every time I want to import something from the framework, I have a heck of a time trying to find the kind of thing I want. How does someone work with an unfamiliar David S. Sep 6, 2016 7:19 PM
Tech TV show looking for presenters - Richard B. Aug 5, 2016 1:21 AM
UX TV Show Taping - join the studio audience - *|MC:SUBJECT|* Richard B. Jul 27, 2016 5:53 PM
Re: [python-188] PHP Assistance-Expertise - Didn't someone just mention that this mailing list isn't the appropriate venue? On Jul 26,[masked]:58 PM, "Kristen Gaustad" < Paul D. Jul 26, 2016 4:01 PM
PHP Assistance-Expertise - Kristen G. Jul 26, 2016 3:56 PM
Re: [python-188] RE: Contracting Opportunity/ Python, REST, HTML, and Confluence/ (Approx.- 3 months) - ​ On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Stephen Biles < Alexander P. Jul 18, 2016 12:24 PM
RE: [python-188] RE: Contracting Opportunity/ Python, REST, HTML, and Confluence/ (Approx.- 3 months) - Stephen B. Jul 18, 2016 12:16 PM
Re: [python-188] RE: Contracting Opportunity/ Python, REST, HTML, and Confluence/ (Approx.- 3 months) - Only looking for regular hire positions at this time.  Sorry. On Jul 15,[masked]:01 PM, "Stephen Biles" < [address removed] > wrote: Barry F. Jul 18, 2016 10:00 AM
RE: [python-188] RE: Contracting Opportunity/ Python, REST, HTML, and Confluence/ (Approx.- 3 months) - Stephen B. Jul 18, 2016 9:54 AM
Re: [python-188] RE: Contracting Opportunity/ Python, REST, HTML, and Confluence/ (Approx.- 3 months) - Hey Steve, We discourage job-posting on the mailing list - please post on the job board here: http://www.meetup.com/austinpy­thon/messages/boards/ Peter W. Jul 18, 2016 9:22 AM
RE: Contracting Opportunity/ Python, REST, HTML, and Confluence/ (Approx.- 3 months) - Stephen B. Jul 15, 2016 2:01 PM
RE: [python-188] FYI - Austin Data & IBM OpenPOWER tech meetup tomorrow night - Pierre Jun 7, 2016 11:23 AM
Reminder: SciPy scientific Python conference here in Austin - Hi everyone, SciPy 2016, the 15th annual Scientific Computing with Python conference, will be held July 11-17, 2016 in Austin, Texas. SciPy is a community dedicated to the advancement of scientific computing through open Peter W. Jun 7, 2016 10:27 AM
FYI - Austin Data & IBM OpenPOWER tech meetup tomorrow night - Hey everyone, Just a heads up about another exciting event that's happening tomorrow night, for those who haven't heard about it yet! The Austin Data Meetup and IBM are hosting a tech even Peter W. Jun 7, 2016 10:03 AM
June meetup! - Hi everyone! For our June meeting, we have a neat treat!  Nick Bollweg, a member of the Jupyter/IPython development team, is here in town and is willing to present to our group!  He is a maintainer of the pop Peter W. Jun 7, 2016 9:40 AM
Re: [python-188] Reminder about meetup tonight - Because they live in Westlake or Great Hills. Sent from my iPhone On May 11, 2016, at 12:47 PM, Phillip Watts < Carmen May 11, 2016 12:49 PM
Re: [python-188] Reminder about meetup tonight - Yeah Mopac North works really well also. :(   Mopac to 2222 to 360 would be better. Makes you wonder why anyone would locate on 360. On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Carmen Phillip W. May 11, 2016 12:44 PM
Re: [python-188] Reminder about meetup tonight - It can take up to 40 minutes to get from Bee Caves and 360 to the North side of the Pennybacker Bridge. Sent from my iPhone Carmen May 11, 2016 12:31 PM
Re: [python-188] Reminder about meetup tonight - Yeah, that's not a good way to go. Take Mopac North to 183 and then come down 360 south. That should be way faster than coming all the way up 360. Craig May 11, 2016 11:19 AM
Re: [python-188] Reminder about meetup tonight - And folks - A warning about traffic on 360.  I have made the trip from 360 and Bee Cave Road to 183 for 7:00-ish appointments quite a few times on weekdays.  That specific trip very seldom takes less than 30 minutes - a Tipton C. May 11, 2016 10:34 AM
Reminder about meetup tonight - Hi folks, I'm looking forward to a great meetup tonight, but I wanted to remind everyone that it's going to be at the Indeed.com offices out on 360, and not downtown!  We have our normal start time of 7pm, but pl Peter W. May 11, 2016 10:24 AM
We're giving away 5 bronze passes to OSCON! - Hey everyone, I wanted to let everyone know that my company Continuum Analytics is holding a drawing to give away 5 free Bronze passes to OSCON, which is coming here to Austin in just a couple of weeks: Peter W. May 5, 2016 4:20 PM
RE: [python-188] Details about tonight's meetup! - Chris B. Apr 15, 2016 12:48 AM
Re: [python-188] Details about tonight's meetup! - Hi everyone, Sorry for the confusion around this.  I sent out the email to " [address removed] " yesterday afternoon, but somehow the mailing list relay didn't s Peter W. Apr 15, 2016 12:40 AM
Details about tonight's meetup! - Hi everyone, For our April meeting, I will be presenting about "Python Scalability: A Convenient Truth".  This will look at the challenges and costs of running Python within the Hadoop environment, a Peter W. Apr 13, 2016 6:01 PM
Re: [python-188] March meetup next week - On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Paul Dejean  < [address removed] >  wrote: Peter W. Mar 7, 2016 9:03 AM
Re: [python-188] March meetup next week - No more atlassian then? On Mar 3,[masked]:37 PM, "Peter Wang" < [address removed] > wrote: Paul D. Mar 3, 2016 4:44 PM
March meetup next week - Hey everyone! The March meetup is almost upon us!  Remember that due to scheduling conflicts at Capital Factory, we'll be starting our meetup at 7:30pm on Wednesday March 9th, instead of the normal 7pm. Peter W. Mar 3, 2016 4:34 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Thanks everybody.   My mistake   Dorothy H. Feb 11, 2016 8:04 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Oops. Too late now. On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Dorothy Hewitt-Sanchez < [address removed] Benji Feb 11, 2016 6:41 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Do you have another email address? This is a public forum.  On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Benji < Dorothy H. Feb 11, 2016 6:36 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Hello, Chris! I'm very much interested in getting together with some Python enthusiasts here in Austin. Not sure what qualifies one as a Jr Dev, but I'm definitely an amateur Python coder. I am looking to network a lot more, Benji Feb 11, 2016 5:26 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Preview not available wayne l. Feb 11, 2016 5:00 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Spencer C. Feb 11, 2016 4:53 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - If you are a Jr. Dev with an interest in any language and interested in starting a group locally in Austin Texas please contact me. I am also a Jr. Dev but I've held other types of positions at some highly regarded companies. I str user 1. Feb 11, 2016 4:36 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - With respect to recruitment traffic, it's pretty clear that this list allows the occasional, non-spammy recruitment mail. The OP wasn't a recruiter, and even if he had been, given the number of junior devs out there it was prob Jeremy B. Feb 11, 2016 4:23 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Pretty hilarious. Initial mail requesting resumes goes out at 11:23am. Dorthy feels like she's being ignored because she hasn't gotten a response by 2:20pm. *Take a deep breath* Marshall A. B. Feb 11, 2016 3:17 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - To Whomever is applying for whatever position with whicheve Steve Feb 11, 2016 3:03 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Hello Dorothy, I'm unsure if I got your resume, but I am currently am reviewing all of them and will get back within the next week or two. If you wouldn't mind resending that would be appreciated. Matthew H. Feb 11, 2016 2:52 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - I sent you my resume but you did not reply.  So, I guess that means you are not interested.   Oh well, good luck. On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Paul Dorothy H. Feb 11, 2016 2:13 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Josh for people to properly answer if they tutor, you should mention the hourly rate you pay your tutors. On Feb 11,[masked]:45 AM, "Josh" < joshua.sanchez Paul D. Feb 11, 2016 12:51 PM
RE: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Josh, Which book did you use. Daouda Feb 11, 2016 12:11 PM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Hey everyone, Does anyone on here tutor? I recently completed an intro to Python class. Before taking the next sequence this coming semester, I would like to brush up.  - Josh Josh Feb 11, 2016 11:40 AM
Re: [python-188] Re: Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Matt, I'm an jr. dev who is interested, my email is [address removed] On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM, Matthew Harris user 1. Feb 11, 2016 11:33 AM
Re: Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - I'm not a recruiter I'm a senior software architect.  This is for my company I make no profit off of this outside of having a team to work with and mentor. Thanks! Warmest, Matt Matthew H. Feb 11, 2016 11:30 AM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Hello, We are Brian Feb 11, 2016 11:28 AM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Wait this went to the meetup. Can we not get recruiter spam on the meetup mailing list please. On Feb 11,[masked]:26 AM, [address removed] wrote: Paul D. Feb 11, 2016 11:26 AM
Re: [python-188] Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - I'm a Linux sysadmin and only looking for consulting gigs right now. On Feb 11,[masked]:24 AM, "Matthew Harris" < [address removed] > wrote: Paul D. Feb 11, 2016 11:26 AM
Jr Python Position Opportunity - Austin,TX - Hello, We are currently looking for a Jr. Backend Python Developer to work on building an RESTFUL api. Like to have: 1 year experience Python Development experience Usage and comprehension of Matthew H. Feb 11, 2016 11:23 AM
Python for Android App Development - Hi there everybody, I am fairly new to Python and still learning much of the basics. My primary interest for learning it is for data science, my background is in Psychology and I am bit of a research hobbyi Greg F. Feb 8, 2016 12:11 PM
Re: [python-188] Intel Edison Meetup and Hackathon in Austin - hey frances on the link to register it does not do anything. is it a broken link  On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Frances Cai < Robert Jan 28, 2016 8:47 AM
Intel Edison Meetup and Hackathon in Austin - Hey Folks, Frances C. Jan 25, 2016 6:56 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Thanks Andy On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Andy R. Terrel < [address removed] > wrote: Dorothy H. Dec 16, 2015 5:16 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Your solution is in EXPTIME not P thus has no relevance to whether P = NP. It is well known that NP is in EXPTIME. The Clay Mathematical Foundation would certainly take a program, but that program needs to be proven, thus Andy R. T. Dec 16, 2015 8:45 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - If anyone wants to copy the code for some other purpose, you can go ahead and copy it because I am going to remove it in a few hours.   Dorothy H. Dec 15, 2015 11:38 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - I know there has to be some python people out there that are going for the million dollar prize. if you did not know, now you know.  Dorothy H. Dec 15, 2015 10:45 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Yes, I did think the compilation time would be a major factor.  However, it is causing others to look at the problem and that was my intent. I tested it with 50 elements in the set and I did not see a major differen Dorothy H. Dec 15, 2015 10:30 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Dorothy, This is very neat. Thanks for sharing. The reason The Clay Mathematics Institute asks for a mathematical / symbolic answer and not one for a specific problem is that in the process of sol Dan Dec 15, 2015 9:24 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Hello Everybody I promised to show the mathematical representation of an algorithm.  However, I was not able to find what I was looking for.  However, I was wo Dorothy H. Dec 15, 2015 8:46 PM
Re: [python-188] Meetup tonight! - On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Peter Wang < [address removed] > wrote: Aaron M. Nov 11, 2015 12:12 PM
Meetup tonight! - Hey everyone! For tonight's meetup, we'll have Stan Seibert presenting a talk "The Art and Science of Accelerating Python".  He will cover a survey of various tools and techniques available i Peter W. Nov 11, 2015 10:07 AM
Re: [python-188] October APUG meeting tomorrow - My apologies Paul, your email got buried, as did the meetup.com notification.  You are absolutely still on deck to present!  I'll respond to your other questions offline. Peter W. Oct 13, 2015 3:09 PM
Re: [python-188] October APUG meeting tomorrow - Hi peter. I've messaged and emailed you several times concerning this and haven't recieved a reply. I do intend to give a talk on full stack release management using python, as I previously mentioned. Paul D. Oct 13, 2015 1:01 PM
October APUG meeting tomorrow - Hi everyone, We're just one day away from our October meetup tomorrow night at Atlassian!  If anyone has a lightning talk or other short talk they'd like to give, please let me know.  This is our next-to-last me Peter W. Oct 13, 2015 12:53 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - I second that. If you use SymPy, it has code generation that can convert high level expressions into code.  The problem with starting with code is that code can represent a lot more than mathematical expressions. Code re Aaron M. Oct 5, 2015 5:17 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - This is a good question I'd like to read the answer to, as well. On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Dorothy Hewitt-Sanchez < Matt D. Oct 5, 2015 12:29 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Good project for you Dorothy. :) arrange all your "types" of equations into functions with all       variables in a **dict.       There probably aren't more than 20 type Phillip W. Oct 5, 2015 12:18 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Victor E. Oct 5, 2015 12:18 PM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - If you can go from math equation to programming, why can’t we go in reverse from programming to math?  I guess it just seems like it should be easy but it is not.    Dorothy H. Oct 5, 2015 11:51 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Victor Eijkhout < [address removed] > wrote: Andy R. T. Oct 5, 2015 11:28 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Victor E. Oct 5, 2015 11:18 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - I need a translation application.  I want to translate program code to mathematical formulas.  If it does not exist, it’s a good application to think about.    I am looking at a few that  I downloaded.  I wi Dorothy H. Oct 5, 2015 10:36 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - So you want a package that inspects your code, figures out what you are doing, and writes out a report for you or something? I don't know of anything like that, and it would probably be really hard to do automatically for anything much Kevin G. Oct 5, 2015 10:08 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - That's pretty high level mathematical representation of computational algorithm, and FOR loop doesn't always mean a summation,it could be a product  ∏  depending on what goes Jimmy H. Oct 5, 2015 9:30 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Well, here is an example: If I create a FOR loop, I want the symbolic algebra representation showing the sigma summation (symbol: ∑) with everything that goes Dorothy H. Oct 5, 2015 12:39 AM
Re: [python-188] Mathematical Representation - Hi Dorothy, You should give a small example of what you want to do. Sympy is a symbolic math library similar to Maple or Mathematica,  if you are familiar with those. It will allow you Jacob B. Oct 4, 2015 7:18 PM
Mathematical Representation - I want to create the mathematical representation of my Python code.  Is that what Sympy is used for or do I need to explore something else?  I want to show my Python code in a mathematical formula. Dorothy H. Oct 4, 2015 2:11 PM
Game Dev/Design Workshop in Austin Tuesday 10/15 - Heya Everyone, I'm very excite Frances C. Oct 2, 2015 2:04 PM
Python algorithmic trading meetup next Thursday - Hey everyone, I wanted to give folks the heads-up that the Austin Data meetup next Thursday evening (August 20th) is going to have a strong Python focus, and I figured APUG folks might be interested in it: Peter W. Aug 13, 2015 5:58 PM
Re: [python-188] Additional information for meetup tonight - Randy, here is some information about the Python meeting Gary Aug 12, 2015 12:10 PM
Additional information for meetup tonight - Hey everyone, We have two additional short presentations for our meetup today! Tipton Cole will talk about NetworkX, a library of basic functions for manipulating a graph object - graph Peter W. Aug 12, 2015 11:53 AM
Seeking unittest contract help for small job this week - Hi there, pythons.  I’m a new developer taking on my first project at work: using the unittest framework (nose) to launch tests, collect pass/fail results, and format to xunit for jenkins CI integration.  I harvey Aug 4, 2015 4:41 PM
ANN: "Effective Computation in Physics" Released, 50% Off until Friday July 17th - Hello All! We are ecstatic to announce the release of the first edition of Effective Computation in Physics - Field Guide to Research with Python , scopatz Jul 14, 2015 8:59 PM

Our Sponsors

  • Capital Factory

    Generously providing us a nice meeting space at the top of the Omni!

  • Atlassian

    Providing space, food, drinks for our May, June, and July 2015 meetups!

  • Rackspace

    Space for the Evening Coding meetups

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy