This Meetup is cancelled

Hike to #10 (Moosilauke) on 11/12/13 (Intermediate)

  • No location was chosen

    Organizer: Joe Ciarcia -[masked]

    Read the entire description before you RSVP and answer all questions that are part of the RSVP. Failure to answer them will result in your removal from this event.

    If you RSVP from a mobile device the questions may not show up - be sure to use a computer to update your RSVP so you can answer them. To do this go back to the event page, click "Change RSVP", re-select "YES", click "RSVP", then answer them.

    Your safety, and the safety of the group, is the most important thing. If you underestimate the demands of this event; overestimate your experience, knowledge, skills or abilities; or come unprepared you put yourself or others at risk – consider this before you decide to participate.


    Trip Summary - We're taking this one to Moosilauke

    This was formerly a Zealand->Bonds hike. Due to highs in the single digits, and wind speeds starting at 60 MPH and increasing to 75 MPH (resulting in wind chills in the negative double digits) and the fact that Zealand to the Bonds is a very exposed hike, I am changing the venue to something less exposed and hopefully a bit warmer. Instead of 11/12/13 to #14 we will do #10 (Moosilauke) on 11/12/13 (thanks to John Lagasse for that idea).

    The new plan is to climb Moosilauke (#10 @ 4,800') via Glencliff Trail to Moosilauke Carriage Road and then back down the same way.

    Distance 8.20 mi
    Book Time 5 hr 49 min
    Elevation Gain +3466 ft

    This event is considered to be INTERMEDIATE because of the pace, distance, and elevation gain. We could alter our plans because of fatigue, weather, and/or other conditions. There is no guarantee we will complete the entire event as described here.

    So far we have done an 11 mile hike to the summit of #11 (Eisenhower) at 11:11 on 11/11/11 and a 12 mile hike to the summit of #12 (North Twin) on 12/12/12. We thought we were finished until one of our members (Soccer Mom) came up with a way to keep the theme going.

    • This year we will climb 11/12/13 summit #14 Bond.

    The plan is to climb four of the NH 4,000 Footers - Zealand (#31 @ 4,260'), West Bond (#16 @ 4,540'), Bond (#14 @ 4,698'), and Boncliff (#30 @ 4,265'). We will use the Zealand Trail, Twinway, Bondcliff Trail, West Bond Spur, and Lincoln Woods Trail. Since this route enters Wilderness Protection Areas the group size is limited to 10 people. Along our way we will pass the AMC Zealand Falls Hut which is open year-round.

    On this moderate pace (~2.0 MPH) out and back we will hike about 19.5 miles and climb about 4,600 feet. It should take an average hiker about 12 hours to complete this trip. This event is considered to be ADVANCED because of the pace, distance, and elevation gain. We could alter our plans because of fatigue, weather, and/or other conditions - there is no guarantee we will complete the entire event as described here.

    We start as a group, hike as a group, and finish as a group. Our pace will be that of the slowest hiker. This trip isn't for you if you are faster than the group and don't want to stay with us, if you want to head off on your own, or if you are slower than the group and expect us to constantly wait for you.

    I did my research using the Appalachian Mountain Club's "White Mountain Guide", a trail map, and the Internet. You need to become self-reliant by learning about the route and potential hazards since you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.

    • Click for current trail conditions (

    Guests are not permitted - all participants must be members of the group.

    Dogs are permitted - be sure to bring a leash in case you need to use it and a copy of their current rabies vaccination.

    What to Bring

    Be sure to look at the gear information listed below - if you have any questions about what to wear and/or what to bring let me know. Microspikes/Hillsounds are required (YakTrax are not acceptable).

    • Click here for a list of items needed for a winter day hike.

    Do not rely on others to have extra items to share with you at the meeting spot or on the trail. You should know how to use all of your equipment - test and adjust it prior to this trip.


    Dangerous weather conditions will cancel this event - I will post an update and/or send an email to all confirmed participants.

    • Click here for the current weather forecast for this trip


    We will meet at the Glencliff Trailhead. According to Google Maps this meeting spot is 136 miles from Boston and it should take about 2 hours and 23 minutes to drive there.

    • Click here for customizable driving directions

    While carpooling is encouraged you are responsible for coordinating your own rides. Use the comments section below to communicate with others who may also be looking to share a ride. If you do share a ride be sure to share the expenses.

    Random Group of Hikers Disclaimer

    As a condition of your voluntary participation in this activity you acknowledge and agree to the following: this activity involves inherent risks that can cause property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death to participants and/or others; you assume all risk associated with this activity; you are responsible for having the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, clothing, and equipment to safely participate in this activity; you know and will follow the Hike Safe Responsibility Code; the organizer(s) of this activity are volunteers; and you release, hold harmless, and indemnify the organizer(s) and all members of this group from any and all claims for property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death - including those caused by negligence and/or other reasons.

Join or login to comment.

  • Michael B.

    Nice switch Joe - #10 on 11/12/13.

    1 · November 11, 2013

  • Joe C.

    Tuesday's forecast at altitude... highs in the single digits, wind speeds at 60 to 75 MPH sustained. We will be hiking on Tuesday, but not a 19.5 mile exposed hike. :-) I'll send out an email late tonight with the details.

    November 10, 2013

  • Ray

    I've been trying to clear my schedule for Tuesday, but I still have one meeting that I haven't cleared. I plan to keep trying to contact the client and reschedule. However, with rsvp's expiring tonight, I should probably change my rsvp to No just in case I can not clear my schedule.
    Would it still be possible for me to attend the hike if it's not full? I would not expect you to wait for me at the trailhead. If my schedule clears,I WILL attend and be on time.
    Thanks guys, hope to join you!

    November 8, 2013

    • Joe C.

      Ray, not a problem. Just let me know.

      November 9, 2013

  • Earl C.

    Sometimes I miss things that are obvious to others. What is the pre-hike meet time for Lincoln Woods? I assume we'll consolidate gear into a few vehicles for the drive to Zealand Road.

    Is 7:00 am the target on-trail time?

    November 7, 2013

  • Kate K

    Knee is not cooperating. :-(

    November 7, 2013

    • Joe C.

      "Don't like". Knees and backs both suck!

      November 7, 2013

  • Ray

    Any idea what time you think the group would arrive at Lincoln Woods?

    November 6, 2013

    • Dave

      I would be happily willing to meet for the car spot earlier. I would rather drive in the dark than hike in the dark. I will be staying up there somewhere (not sure where yet)

      November 7, 2013

    • Ray

      I'd be willing to start earlier also. Can spot also.

      November 7, 2013

  • Denise

    I did this trip in September It was so beautiful I would love to do it again. Would we need micro spikes for this day ?

    October 9, 2013

    • Denise

      Just realized this is a Tuesday ! Cannot make it:(

      October 9, 2013

    • Joe C.

      Bummer... there will be other trips. Update on the MicroSpikes/Hillsounds..­. they will most definitely, positively, 100% be REQUIRED!

      November 7, 2013

  • Rob R.

    I am coming from Maine. See you at the trailhead.

    November 7, 2013

  • John (LAG) L.

    I took a group two years ago on this trip. Once you get to Bondcliff it's a pretty gentle slope down. The boring part is the 4 1/2 miles of flat out to Linclon Woods. It's not strenuous just long. It's good to bring a water purifier so if you do run out you can get some after Bondcliff. Have fun! Wish I could make it.

    November 6, 2013

  • Dave

    #44, 45, 46, and 47 for me. (leaving Jackson for last) - please let me off the wait list he pleads....

    October 9, 2013

  • Mark

    Sorry, mistakenly hit no. Weekdays are tough .... Have a great time!

    October 9, 2013

  • Joe C.

    This will be perfect... I can finish out round 2 of my 48 with this hike!

    October 5, 2013

  • Kate K

    Would be AWESOME if I am ready for this by then. Working on it!! :)

    October 5, 2013

  • John (LAG) L.

    Will you be on the summit at 15:16:17?

    1 · March 26, 2013

    • John (LAG) L.

      Dorky would be starting the hike at 8:9:10!

      1 · March 27, 2013

    • Matt D.

      Scary thing is it wouldn't be all that crazy pace-wise (actually about spot-on) to start at 8:9:10 and end up on Bond at 15:16:17!

      Wish I could make this, mid-week is hard. Dang calendar!

      March 27, 2013


Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more

Meetup has allowed me to meet people I wouldn't have met naturally - they're totally different than me.

Allison, started Women's Adventure Travel

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy