This is lesson 1 in the Intro to JS course. We highly recommend taking the entire course series:
• Intro to JS: Variables & Functions - https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/253392437/
• Intro to JS: Control Flows & Arrays - https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/253382020/
• Intro to JS: Objects - https://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-San-Francisco/events/253392289/
We will cover:
• Primitive data types
• Variable names
• Circular dependencies
• Return values
• Variable scope
• Coding conventions
• Basic HTML & CSS
Attendees are not expected to have any previous programming experience. If you already have experience with another language besides JS, you are welcome to come, but you may find the workshop goes at too slow a pace.
• Your laptop (Mac, PC, Linux) and charger
• A modern web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
• A text editor - we recommend either Sublime Text 2 or Atom (both free)
If you do not have a laptop, please contact the instructors. We have a limited number of Chromebooks for students to borrow.
Payment is required to attend. If you'd like to attend but cannot afford the cost, click here to request a scholarship (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19YePb1ncNgHLFze40_BJRM7w8SG5mh1D0uB4qyKjwWs/viewform). Due to the number of applications, only the scholarship recipients will receive an email a few days before the workshop. Thank you for your understanding!
ABOUT THE TEACHERS
Christina Foran is a software engineer and former math teacher passionate about developing technology that personalizes learning and makes knowledge more accessible for all kinds of learners. Her first software engineering position was at Slack where she worked on features like message threading and notifications. Most recently, she joined an adult literacy startup where she consulted on security, accessibility, and international texting.