What we're about
Upcoming events (5)
THIS EVENT WILL OPEN 6 DAYS BEFORE EVENT SO CHECK YOU WORK CALENDAR, CHECK YOUR HEALTH, CHECK WHAT EVER ELSE YOU MAY BE THINKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU SIGN UP SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CANCEL. Do not cancel last minute or no show as you may prevent someone on the wait list from coming.
Charleston Park Outer and Inner Loop Trail is a 5.7 mile Multi use moderately trafficked loop trail in Forsyth County located near Cumming, Georgia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. This trail is shared with mountain bikes so if you don't like sharing the trail, this hike is not for you. The hikers go one way and the bikers another so you can easiey see each other and move over. Not a beginners hike. Intermediate Hikers, 2.5mi. per hour...definitely a good bit of minor ups and down...not mountains but definite hills. Will definitely take more than 2 hours but probably not more than 2.5 hours.
We will meet at the bathrooms (open and clean). Make sure you have enough water for a warm summer day.
In May 2014, they built a disc golf course at Suwanee Park. About Disc golf: It's so much fun. I don't know why, but it is.
• Like most disc golf courses, it's on a public park and free to play
To Bring :
• Golf discs if you have them (I have some to lend out. Msg/Text me below.
• Water (a liter or so.) and a snack like trail mix for our snack break.
• Comfortable shoes and weather appropriate clothing as if you're hiking
• Weather: Sunny, with a temp range: 81-86F, 0-10% chance of rain.
• About the Suwanee course:
• It's "technical", meaning that there are lots of trees on many holes on both sides of the fairway on many holes, giving you a narrow approach to the basket. Being shorter than most others, this course is good for beginners or newbies. To see more about the course, visit dgcourserview.com And search for "Suwanee Creek"
• Since the Buckeye Pavilion at the 1st hole has only 4 parking spaces,we will start at the Alder Pavilion, at the 4th hole - it has more parking, a water fountain, and restrooms
• Some holes are short (~120 feet) and others are longer (~240 feet)
• The course is wooded and hilly, and there's wooden steps at various places on the course where it's steep
• Some holes have 2 possible tee areas (We usually play the longer tees
• Here, every hole is a par 3.
It takes about 2.5 hours to play 18 holes, depending on group size .
• Dinner: we usually go to Hammerheads - they have outdoor seating.
• Questions or to borrow a disc: Text Tom at[masked] or leave comment here
We will maintain social distancing of 6'. Please don’t signup and stay home if you feel sick or have temperature!
Please simply change your response from Yes to No if you can’t make it after sign up, there is no need to explain the reason why you can’t make it in this event group text message.
This is an intermediate 5 miles hike . A couple of baby hills and a few steps but otherwise flat along the Chattahoochee River. You can find a copy of the trail map here:
We'll start with the little loop to see the old Jones Bridge that doesn't exist any more and then walk along the water, loop back around the field and retrace our steps to get back to the car.
We'll meet in the parking lot at the very end of the entrance road. Restrooms are available here. Please remove all valuables visible in your vehicles because there have been acts of vandalism. There are 2 entrances to Jones Bridge coming from Holcomb Bridge. The first is the environmental center....don't turn here. Go to the next one. Then pass the first parking lot and go all the way to the end.
If you don't have an annual pass I suggest buying one on line. At Jones Bridge there are no longer any envelopes for cash and or normal credit card registration. You have to scan the bar code and enter your license plate, etc. etc. It doesn't work on all browsers so you may be doing a little downloading. Come early and be prepared or you won't be able start on time.
Bring water, hat, sunglasses and bug spray etc.
Download the latest Meetup App if you don’t have it on your phone or the one on your phone is not up to date, and turn on your Meetup notification setting. In case cancellation, you would be notified in timely fashion.
If it is possibly a rainy day, I would send a message out around 6AM on the hiking day to notify everyone either keep or cancel the event.
Join me for a learn to back pack adventure on the Appalachian Trail. This event is specifically designed for new backpackers. I will provide you with all the information and help that you need to be successful including a great information packet and detailed packing list. In order for me to send you these items you MUST provide your email address on signing up for this event. Don't worry, only I will be able to see your email address. I am available to answer questions and I am willing to go through your pack and help you lighten the load if arrangements are made in advance.
This is a backpacking trip. You must own, rent or borrow all the equipment that you need for this trip. I have some limited equipment that I will share or loan. Please contact me if you have specific items that you need to borrow.
This is the AT and there is nothing easy about it. Strenuous hiking ability is definitely needed especially when you are carrying a 25-30 pound pack. You need to have been hiking 5+ regularly and recently over uneven terrain to be successful at this trip. You need to know your level of ability. If you are concerned about your experience or ability please contact me.
Meet at Mansell Park and Ride at 10:45am and leave No Later Than 11am. We will take as few cars as possible to the trail head. It is a 2 hour drive to Dicks Creek Gap. We will stop once for a quick bathroom break near Cleveland GA (There are a McDonalds and a Dunkin' there. We will decide which will be our stop before we leave Mansell.) We will hike 4.5 miles to Plum Orchard and plan to arrive at camp around 4pm. Sunday morning we will pack out and leave by 9:30am for the 4.5 mile trek back to cars (noon) and then drive home or to carpool by 2pm. There is some chance we will go out to eat afterwards...
COST: We will share gas. Please bring cash to share with your driver.
To Contact me=- Text is best-[masked]