APIQWTC (pronounced "API-cutesy") provides opportunities for Asian & Pacific Islander queer women and transgender people to socialize, network, build community, engage in inter-generational organizing, and increase community visibility.
WHO WE ARE
APIQWTC is a fun, welcoming, multi-generational group of Asian & Pacific islander queer women and transgender people in the Bay Area, who are building community together. We are the legacy of queer A&PI activism, stemming from earlier-founded organizations going back to 1987. We are a wholly volunteer-based organization.
WHAT WE DO
• APIQWTC hosts, and is involved in, a range of activities year-round: Website and listserv, which allows members to keep in touch about issues and events pertaining to the APIQWTC community
• Pride Parade and booth
• API Pride Council
• Annual Spring Banquet, our main event and fundraiser
• Social Events: annual BBQ, monthly meetups, basketball, doggy play dates, games and movie nights, annual Tahoe trip, wine tasting, etc.
• Co-sponsorship: workshops (e.g. QACON at UC Berkeley), film and cultural events, and other community efforts
• Scholarships, awarded annually at the Banquet
• Annual Phoenix Award to a member of our community, based on nominations and awarded at the Banquet
• Support of other colleague organizations
If you are of mixed/West/South/East/Southeast Asian and/or Pacific Islander heritage AND are Trans*/Queer woman/Lesbian, come up to one of our meetups!
Please check out of website (www.apiqwtc.org) and feel free to email us if you have any questions.
APIQWTC is committed to providing a SAFE SPACE for community members at our events (both on meet-up and via our listserv) and to holding community members accountable for the following actions:
Actual or perceived threats
Verbal or physical violence
Discrimination within our community, based on sexual orientation, gender identity, race, age, color, national origin, religion etc.
In the event that these instances occur, impacted community members are encouraged to inform trained APIQWTC leadership. These members will support and intervene by taking all reasonable actions during the event, including:
De-escalating the situation
Prioritizing the safety of space and impacted community members
APIQWTC is committed to supporting all parties as needed, to ensure the APIQWTC events are a safe space. We reserve the right to ban any members from our listserv or meet-up membership