"Narrowing the skills gap, one chapter at a time."
NOTE: This virtual self-study group will begin once a Senior Percolator (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/pages/21338174/Senior_Percolators_and_Percolators/) has been identified to lead the group. Learn more about becoming a Senior Percolator (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/pages/21338174/Senior_Percolators_and_Percolators/).
During August you can get caught up with any of the four seasons listed above.
The book we will be using for Season 11 is Async & Performance (https://github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/async%20&%20performance/README.md#you-dont-know-js-async--performance).
• ES6 & Beyond (https://github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/es6%20&%20beyond/README.md#you-dont-know-js-es6--beyond) (Season 12)
• JSON at Work: Practical Data Integration for the Web (https://www.amazon.com/JSON-Work-Practical-Data-Integration/dp/1449358322/) (Season 14)
Self-Study Group Format
The format of a virtual self-study group is as follows:
• Each participant obtains a copy of the same textbook: Async & Performance (https://github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/async%20&%20performance/README.md#you-dont-know-js-async--performance).
• Each participant commits to read one chapter per week, complete the exercises and post links to your completed work.
• Each participant obtains assistance by posting questions to a discussion area set up on the Boston PHP Message Board (coming soon) for each chapter. Each participant will receive personal feedback, as well as, a weekly group e-mail update.
• Each participant who completes the book is recognized on the Self-Study Group | Wall of Accomplishment (http://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/messages/boards/thread/21414292).
Note: There is no classroom instruction. There are no webcasts. There are no scheduled appointments of any kind.
Once you have access to the book, you simply proceed at a pace that best fits into your current work/life schedule. You DO NOT need to live in the Boston area to participate. Invite your friends, family members and co-workers to join in the fun!
How Do I Get Started?
• Become a member of Boston PHP if you are not already a member. Simply click: Join us!
• Register for jQuery jAM: Season 11 (https://www.meetup.com/bostonphp/events/241146333/). Simply RSVP: Yes
• Obtain a copy of Async & Performance (https://github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/async%20&%20performance/README.md#you-dont-know-js-async--performance) (the only program cost). O'Reilly Media no longer sells books directly and has discontinued their discount program. When your book arrives, start your virtual learning by reading one chapter at a time, completing the exercises and posting a link to your completed work.
Q: How long will the course last?
A: We will cover six chapters plus one appendix in the book starting Sunday, September 10 and ending Saturday, October 21. Refer to the jQuery jAM, Season 11 -- Master Discussion List (coming soon) for specific dates.
Q: Do I have to wait until Sunday, September 10 to begin?
A: No need to wait! Feel free to begin as soon as you obtain a copy of your book. Simply post a message on the Introduce Yourself: jQuery jAM, Season 11 message board (coming soon) once you receive your book so that we can gauge participation. Then, proceed at a pace that best fits your current work/life schedule.
Q: Do I have to live in Boston to participate?
A: Not at all. This program is virtual. We have successful graduates from many states and even have graduates from countries in Europe and Africa.
Q: What if I have additional questions?
A: Simply post a reply below and you will receive a response.
Let's start jAMmin'!!
[ jQuery jAM on Twitter (https://twitter.com/jqueryjam) ]
[ jQuery jAM on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/jqueryjam) ]