Note: We are doing pre-registration for this event. Details, including the required Google form link, are below in the "Pre-registration & Payment" section.
Pocahontas S.P. is great at this time of year! Come on out to have some fun in the woods. We'll have a beginner course and a Score-O course that's a mix of intermediate & advanced locations. Check out all of the details below.
STARTS: Start any time between 12:00pm and 2:00pm. (Everybody must be back to the start no later than 3:30pm.) Feel free to arrive any time after 11:45am.
COST: Maps are $5 each (pre-registered); $10 day-of (if available).
LOCATION: Pocahontas State Park – CCC Camp Field. Parking is on the right about 200 yards after the entrance gatehouse. Follow the red & white arrow signs.
PARKING FEE: A parking fee of $10 per car will be collected at the park entrance station (unless you have a State Parks parking permit).
INSTRUCTION: 12:30pm - 1:30pm
- Instruction will be available during above times for beginners or those who would like some help to get started. We can also offer some tips to those who've been out a few times and want to advance their skills a bit.
- See links at the bottom to some reference materials that you can review in advance in lieu of in-person instruction.
- Bring your own compass or borrow one of ours (on a first-come basis). Be prepared to leave car keys as a deposit when borrowing.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and for travel both on & off trail. You are strongly encouraged to bring water, sunscreen, and bug spray.
- Feel free to post comments or contact one of the organizers if you have any questions!
*** Our meets are put on by volunteers & we could use your help. Please consider offering some of your time at this or an upcoming meet. ***
PRE-REGISTRATION & PAYMENT:
We require everyone to register on the Google form & pay for their maps in advance. This cuts down on the amount of time needed on event day for waiver signing & payments. It also guarantees you a map.
Register by Thursday April 13th at Noon to give us time to print maps and reserve one for you. Only a very limited number of extra maps will be available; we cannot print them on site.
Please register and complete the waiver using the Google form link below. You will be shown payment info after registering there.
Google Form Registration
2 courses to choose from. Everyone must be back by 3:30pm.
- White (Beginner) - Great for first-timers & practicing your skills.
- Score-O (Intermediate & Advanced) - 90-minute time limit with penalties if over time. Find as many of the intermediate- and advanced-level locations as you can in whatever order seems the best. The map will be 1:10,000 scale.
Course Designer: Tim Gilbert
----- Be sure to join our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CentralVAOrienteeringClub/ -----
Below is some instructional information that you can check out to learn about orienteering before heading out on the course.