What we’re about
OpenOakland is an all-volunteer collective founded in 2012 that bridges community and technology for a thriving and equitable Oakland. We bring technologists, designers, data geeks, advocates, residents, researchers, policy makers, thinkers, and doers together to build community-centered technology that empowers Oaklanders to shape the city we want to live in.
For nearly a decade, our digital tools have given Oaklanders a voice in their local government, from mapping community resources to publishing the city budget publicly for the first time ever.
We welcome folks from all disciplines, backgrounds, and experience levels; join us and say hello!
Visit us online: https://openoakland.org
We expect everyone participating in OpenOakland events, physical spaces, and digital channels to adhere to our Code of Conduct: https://openoakland.org/code-of-conduct
To explore active and incubating projects, visit: https://openoakland.org/projects
Upcoming events (1)See all
- Hack Night: Oakland Voter Guide Prototype Demo!City Hall, Hearing Room 3, Oakland , CA
Welcome to OpenOakland's Hack Night at City Hall, an evening dedicated to leveraging our collective expertise for civic good. It's a time to connect, collaborate, and contribute to meaningful open-source technology-driven projects that are positively impacting our community. Our Hack Night brings together coders, designers, researchers, data enthusiasts, activists, and everyone passionate about using technology to foster transparency, participation, and public good.
Our Hack Nights are typically on the 1st Tuesday of the month (if there isn't a holiday, etc).
Special topic / demo:
- [New!] Oakland Voter Guide - A team has been prototyping a digital voter guide for the upcoming 2024 election and now we're looking to bring it to life! Niels (UX designer leading the project) will present the prototype and answer questions. This is a great opportunity for front-end developers! Join us to learn more!
This Month's Projects:
Leaders from these projects will be present to guide you:
- [New!] Oakland Voter Guide - see above!
- Open Disclosure Oakland: An initiative aimed to make campaign finance more transparent in Oakland.
- Democracy Dollars: We're collaborating with Oakland's Public Ethics Commission to prototype a digital experience for the Democracy Dollars program. This project is in need of UX designers, user researchers / testers, and product managers!
- 6:30pm - 7:00pm: Introductions and Overviews from Project Leads
- 7:00pm - 8:00pm: Breakout Sessions for Individual Projects
Whether you're looking to actively contribute to these projects or just exploring ways to get involved, your presence will be a valuable addition. Even if the projects featured on this particular night aren't exactly in your wheelhouse, don't let that deter you. There's always an opportunity to learn, brainstorm, and figure out how you can get involved with our future initiatives.
See you soon!