# Event Summary
Want to learn how to build an R package, but aren't sure where to start? This workshop is for you! Run by R-Ladies Irvine, the goal of this workshop is to empower you to start contributing back to the R ecosystem with package development. An example package will be developed during the workshop so you can follow along and create your own. We’ll be using materials developed by Hadley Wickham, Jenny Bryan, and Di Cook.
In this workshop, we will cover package structure and set-up, creating functions, documentation, testing, dependencies, sharing your package with others, package vignettes/articles, hex stickers, and more!
If you have never built an R package before, we especially encourage you to come out. We'll walk you through the basics, and you'll leave having put together your first R package.
The leader of this workshop will be Alyssa Columbus, who currently maintains 3 R packages.
TAs for this workshop will be announced soon.
Thursday, August 8th, 6:30-8:30pm
6:30 - Check-in and Networking
6:50 - Announcements
7:00 - R Package Development Workshop
8:30 - Meeting Adjourned
- Parking is free and in the back of the building or on the street.
- Extension cords and outlet strips will be provided to power your devices.
- Free WiFi will also be provided, and the username/pass will be posted throughout the venue.
- Slides will be sent out and posted on our GitHub after the event.
# Food & Freebies
- Healthy snacks and water will be provided.
- Free R-Ladies, tidyverse, NASA, and Microsoft Developer Advocates stickers will also be given out.