Tuesday, January 14th, 6:30-8:30pm
6:30 - [Networking Activity] R-Ladies Networking Bingo
7:00 - Announcements
7:05 - [Career Corner] How to Successfully Start a New Job
7:20 - 10-Minute Break
7:30 - [R Time] Visualization of Gene Expression Data
8:00 - Socializing and Networking
8:30 - Meeting Adjourned
# Meeting Location
UC Irvine Campus
School of Medicine
Gillespie Neuroscience Research Facility
Floor 1 Conference Room
Here are a few helpful maps of UCI to help you find us: https://www.parking.uci.edu/maps/map_services.cfm
- All vehicles parked on the UC Irvine campus are required to display a valid parking permit at all times. Permit dispensers are available in all parking structures/lots at all times and accept major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) and cash. If you don't already have a parking permit, parking is $2/hr. The closest parking lots to the event are lots 82, 83, and 84.
- Here are a few helpful maps of UCI to help you find where to park: https://www.parking.uci.edu/maps/map_services.cfm
# Food & Freebies
- Healthy vegan and gluten-free snacks and water will be provided.
- Free R-Ladies and tidyverse stickers will also be given out.
[Career Corner] How to Successfully Start a New Job
Speaker: Alyssa Columbus
[R Time] Visualization of Gene Expression Data
Speaker: Stacey Borrego, PhD
As a biologist, data visualization is an essential tool to aide in the understanding of the meaning of experimental results. While the common heatmap allows us to gain a global view of count data such as gene expression or metabolomic data, it can also be helpful to isolate select observations for visualization in individual plots. This talk will demonstrate automated plotting of gene expression data for each gene in a cellular pathway using a time course dataset. The data visualization package ggplot2 will be used and the function tryCatch() will be implemented to handle possible errors.
- ***NEW*** All announcements and presentations will be livestreamed and recorded starting at 7:00 PM. Join us at this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIbS1KNK7jbcbQVNt7lF62A/live
- All materials will be sent out and posted on our GitHub (https://github.com/rladies-irvine) and website (https://www.rladiesirvine.org/) after the event.
# Technology Support & WiFi
- Extension cords and outlet strips will be provided to power your devices (i.e. smartphones, tablets, laptops). Please note that bringing a device is not required to attend our meetings.
- Free UCI Guest WiFi will also be provided. Please use ExpressReg to register your device and connect: https://oit.uci.edu/reg
More information about connecting to UCI Guest Wifi can be found here: https://www.oit.uci.edu/mobile/registration/