What we're about
Upcoming events (4+)
FIREWORKS - HIKE and PARTY!!!!!
(GREAT view of the fireworks at Bel Aire Beach Club and across the entire west-side)
Pot-Luck / BRING FOOD and DRINK TO SHARE!!
Pretty EASY 4 miles R/T
(half way up to Parker Mesa on a BLUFF overlooking the ocean)
leaving the parking lot at 6:50-ish
IF YOU'RE RUNNING LATE YOU CAN EASILY FIND US!!! **We'll leave ORANGE chalk at each turn...
POTLUCK suggestion: (IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE with potlucks yet, just bring enough for yourself... no problemo)
lets go by BIRTHDAY...
Jan Feb March - Veggies / Salad
Apr May June - Protein
July Aug Sept - Pasta / Carb
Oct Nov Dec - Fruit / Desert
everyone bring your own beverages, plates / glasses / utensils / napkins / blankets
***if you have a specialty that doesn't fit into your category feel free to go for it, it's just a suggestion and nobody will check your ID.
BRING a FLASHLIGHT
⛔️ GOOGLE MAPS ⛔️ https://goo.gl/maps/Mf8ZYpMPC1fFfGgQA
***parking restrictions AFTER 11PM so we'll have to start heading down by 10 PM unless you're parked elsewhere
LEGAL STUFF: AND AS USUAL, YOU AGREE BY GOING ON THIS HIKE THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND THAT THE MEETUP FOLKS HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR SAFETY. PLEASE SEE THE MEETUP TERMS OF MEMBERSHIP: http://www.meetup.com/terms/ ESPECIALLY PARAGRAPH 11.
For all the info and to sign up, go to www.1000treks.com
Let's go on an amazing South American adventure where we visit three South American countries, explore the largest rainforest in the world, see the largest waterfalls in the world, visit one of the world's most beautiful cities, and marvel at one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
FOR FULL DETAILS, GO TO: https://www.1000treks.com/trips/the-south-american-wonders--the-amazon--iguassu-falls-and-rio-
Visit THREE South American Countries: Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay.
Explore the mighty Amazon Jungle, the biggest rainforest in the world, including three days on a river jungle cruise and four days in an authentic jungle lodge deep in the jungle!
Visit and spend the night with a tribe of Amazon Indians.
Have the chance to see a variety of unique wildlife, including several different kinds of primates, sloth, Amazonian crocodiles, even jaguars and the biggest snakes in the world, anacondas!
Go fishing for piranhas and then have piranhas for dinner (that's right!).
Swim with the beautiful, unique Amazonian freshwater pink dolphins. That's right, we will not only see them but will SWIM WITH THEM IN THE WILD!
Take a panoramic flight over the Amazon jungle (optional).
Astound yourself as you gaze at the world's largest waterfalls and one of the Seven Wonders Nature, the majestic Iguassu Falls. We will see the falls from both the Brazilian side and the Argentinian side.
Explore one of the world's most famous and beautiful cities: Rio de Janeiro.
See the statue of Christ the Redeemer, one of the official Seven Wonders of the World.
FOR FULL DETAILS AND TO SIGN UP, GO TO: https://www.1000treks.com/trips/the-south-american-wonders--the-amazon--iguassu-falls-and-rio-
- 8 MILE HIKE TO MT PINOS / SAWMILL PEAK / NOMINAL ELEVATION GAIN
( optional 4 mile hike for those of you who may be outta shape these days )
⭐️⭐️ HIKE / FOOD / METEOR SHOWER !! ⭐️⭐️
⭐️ optional camping at Chula Vista Campground; 120 yards east of the parking lot... first come, first served...
( in that order - we'll do the hike... then return to the parking lot for food and then meteor stuff!! )
there will be SEVERAL telescopes (possibly less these days cuz of that flu thing) in the parking lot set up by a local astronomy club... at an elevation of 8,300 ft, no CITY LIGHTS...
it should be PRIMO STAR-GAZING that evening
RED LED HEADLAMPS STRONGLY URGED!!!
GOOGLE MAPS / SMARTPHONE LINK
***NO ADVENTURE PASS REQUIRED IN PARKING LOT
IT WILL TAKE approx 2 hours travel time from the west side. I'm gonna take off at 10:30AM so I don't have to stress about being late. the last 45 minutes is a GORGEOUS drive!!!
(people camping should get there prior to noon to find and set up a camping spot, so leave the west side around 10AM)
- From the west side, Take the 405 Freeway north for about 19.1 miles and merge with the 5 Freeway north.
- Continue north on the 5 Freeway for about 46.1 miles.
- Take the Frazier Mountain Park Road exit going west toward Frazier Mountain. Watch carefully for the signs indicating the Frazier Mountain Road exit. (The exit is about 35 miles past Magic Mountain, and about 3 miles past a small town called Gorman.)
- Continue on road for about 21 miles following the signs to Mt. Pinos. (After about 7 miles along Frazier Mountain road, the name of the road will change to Cuddy Valley road. About 4 miles past this point, the road will reach a fork. To the right is Mil Portrero Hwy, and to the left is Mt. Pinos road. Stay to the left and continue on Mt. Pinos road for another 10 miles and you’ll reach the Mt. Pinos parking lot!
- The star party will take place in the large open parking lot at the end of the road. Park along the left hand side as you drive in!
(borrowed from the astronomy club) Parking and Headlights:
If you drive up to Mt. Pinos on your own, please try to arrive at the star party site before the sun sets so that we don’t have our headlights on as we drive in. Headlights and other bright lights ruin the night vision of the observers at the site. For this reason it is strongly recommended to use your parking lights and not to turn your headlights on when leaving the site until you are out of the parking area. There may be limited parking at the site, so that is another reason to arrive early and ensure a space. RED LED flashlights strongly encouraged!!!
GOOD CARPOOLING LOCATIONS ARE THE WHOLE FOODS OFF THE 405 AND SEPULVEDA IN SHERMAN OAKS AND THE McDONALDS ON ROXFORD STREET ABOUT A MILE NORTH OF WHERE THE 405 AND THE 5 FREEWAYS INTERSECT.
🛑 BRING CHAIRS / BLANKETS / WARM CLOTHES!!! GETS SURPRISINGLY CHILLY THERE AT NIGHT!! 🛑
GREAT video of this event a couple years ago!!
CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE INFO AND TO RSVP
People have been asking for this one for a long time. Let’s go on a one-of-a-kind adventure to one of the most beautiful and exciting countries in the world: Iceland!
As always, we have gone out of our way to create the ultimate itinerary in which we will do tons of exciting activities and visit tons of breathtaking locations that you won't see anywhere else in the world. We will do the regular touristy things that everyone has to do when they go to Iceland, but we’ll take things to another level by doing some amazing adventurous and unique stuff. You will come back being able to say not only that you have been to, but you have EXPERIENCED, Iceland!
Here are some of the incredible things we will do or have the chance to do:
- Travel the Ring Road, the adventurous road that circles the entire country, covering the South Coast, Westfjords, North, and Eastfjords.
- Cruise along the Golden Circle.
- See puffins, just about the cutest bird you will ever see in your life.
- Tour Reykjavik, the capital and main city of Iceland.
- See the jaw-dropping Kirkjufell, which you might recognize as Arrowhead Mountain in Game of Thrones. We will actually climb it, too!
- Touch two continents when you snorkel in Silfra, the divergent tectonic boundary between the North American and Eurasian plates.
- See geysers and other geothermal phenomena.
- Explore gorgeous lava caves.
- Kayak through fjords.
- See some of the most beautiful and unique waterfalls in the world.
- Go on an amphibian boat ride amongst glaciers on a glacier lagoon.
- Explore the inside of a volcano!
- Hike on a glacier.
- Ride a snowmobile on a glacier!
- Go inside an ice cave, one of the most spectacular natural formations in the world.
- Go whale watching.
- See and ride the magnificent Icelandic Horse.
- Visit a turf house. Yup, you have seen them in Lord of the Rings, but in Iceland you will see real ones.
- Visit hot springs, including the famous Blue Lagoon.
- Visit the colorful mountains of Landmannalaugar.
CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE INFO AND TO RSVP