What we're about
Upcoming events (5)
PLEASE NOTE 10 MINUTE GRACE PERIOD.
This is a three hour hike at a "brisk" pace
Time - Meet at 6:30 p.m., leave at 6:40 p.m.
Distance - 7.0 miles
Elevation gain - approx 1500 ft.
Difficulty - INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED. No beginners! Please be prepared for a fast paced hike with minimal stops. Please no recent injuries! This hike is intended as a decent workout as well as enjoyment of the scenery. A mixture of fire roads and single track trails up, all fire roads down. There is one very steep trail at the final ascent to Mount Hollywood with a length of .2 miles.
Starting at Parking Lot 2, we take the Fern Canyon Trail to 5 points, then ascend to the Helipad. From there we turn left down the Riverside Trail to the Greek Theater, turning right past the bird sanctuary to Mt. Hollywood. After a brief stop there enjoying the city panorama and snapping a group photo, we return to lot 2 via the North and Bill Eckert trails.
Suggested to bring
- Headlamp - bring white light if you need, but please dim it and don't point it in anyone's eyes.
- Good shoes, trail runners may be best for this one.
- Plenty of water
- 8 MILE HIKE TO MT PINOS / SAWMILL PEAK / NOMINAL ELEVATION GAIN
( optional 4 mile hike for those of you who may be outta shape these days )
⭐️⭐️ HIKE / FOOD / METEOR SHOWER !! ⭐️⭐️
⭐️ optional camping at Chula Vista Campground; 120 yards east of the parking lot... first come, first served...
( in that order - we'll do the hike... then return to the parking lot for food and then meteor stuff!! )
there will be SEVERAL telescopes (possibly less these days cuz of that flu thing) in the parking lot set up by a local astronomy club... at an elevation of 8,300 ft, no CITY LIGHTS...
it should be PRIMO STAR-GAZING that evening
RED LED HEADLAMPS STRONGLY URGED!!!
GOOGLE MAPS / SMARTPHONE LINK
***NO ADVENTURE PASS REQUIRED IN PARKING LOT
IT WILL TAKE approx 2 hours travel time from the west side. I'm gonna take off at 10:30AM so I don't have to stress about being late. the last 45 minutes is a GORGEOUS drive!!!
(people camping should get there prior to noon to find and set up a camping spot, so leave the west side around 10AM)
1. From the west side, Take the 405 Freeway north for about 19.1 miles and merge with the 5 Freeway north.
2. Continue north on the 5 Freeway for about 46.1 miles.
3. Take the Frazier Mountain Park Road exit going west toward Frazier Mountain. Watch carefully for the signs indicating the Frazier Mountain Road exit. (The exit is about 35 miles past Magic Mountain, and about 3 miles past a small town called Gorman.)
4. Continue on road for about 21 miles following the signs to Mt. Pinos. (After about 7 miles along Frazier Mountain road, the name of the road will change to Cuddy Valley road. About 4 miles past this point, the road will reach a fork. To the right is Mil Portrero Hwy, and to the left is Mt. Pinos road. Stay to the left and continue on Mt. Pinos road for another 10 miles and you’ll reach the Mt. Pinos parking lot!
5. The star party will take place in the large open parking lot at the end of the road. Park along the left hand side as you drive in!
(borrowed from the astronomy club) Parking and Headlights:
If you drive up to Mt. Pinos on your own, please try to arrive at the star party site before the sun sets so that we don’t have our headlights on as we drive in. Headlights and other bright lights ruin the night vision of the observers at the site. For this reason it is strongly recommended to use your parking lights and not to turn your headlights on when leaving the site until you are out of the parking area. There may be limited parking at the site, so that is another reason to arrive early and ensure a space. RED LED flashlights strongly encouraged!!!
GOOD CARPOOLING LOCATIONS ARE THE WHOLE FOODS OFF THE 405 AND SEPULVEDA IN SHERMAN OAKS AND THE McDONALDS ON ROXFORD STREET ABOUT A MILE NORTH OF WHERE THE 405 AND THE 5 FREEWAYS INTERSECT.
🛑 BRING CHAIRS / BLANKETS / WARM CLOTHES!!! GETS SURPRISINGLY CHILLY THERE AT NIGHT!! 🛑
GREAT video of this event a couple years ago!!
DUE TO THE STILL UNCERTAIN TRAVEL SITUATION DUE TO COVID-19, WE DECIDED TO POSTPONE THIS TRIP TO 2022.
For all the info and to sign up, go to www.1000treks.com
For all the details and to put your name on the "wanna go" list, go here: https://www.1000treks.com/trips/italy-wine-tasting-dream--tuscany--cinque-terre--venice-and-rome
- Visit several of Italy's beautiful and famous cities and areas, such as Rome, Florence, Venice, Pisa, Naples, Bologna, Verona, Capri, Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, Lake Como and Milan. Yup we are going to see all of those in one trip!
- Explore Rome and see world famous attractions such as the Coliseum, Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica.
- Indulge your senses in stunning Tuscany, known for its gorgeous scenery, robust wines and delectable culinary delights.
- See the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa.
- View the historic art of Florence, including the famous Michelangelo's statue of David.
- Explore Milan and see the iconic Last Supper from Michelangelo (yes, THE Last Supper).
- Discover the breathtaking Cinque Terre.
- Tour Venice, the fascinating city built on water and go on a gondola ride (every travel lover must do that one day).
- Visit Pompeii and have the chance to hike Mt. Vesuvius (yup, of course we are going to do that!).
- See the beautiful Amalfi Coast.
- Visit Capri and see the famous Blue Grotto.
- And more! We can't list everything we'll be doing because there is not enough space on the internet. ;-)
People on the pre-announcement list will get an email before everyone else to get first dibs at registering. The first five deposits will get the early-bird discount.
To get on the pre-announcement list, RSVP on the "Wanna Go!" list here: https://www.1000treks.com/trips/italy-wine-tasting-dream--tuscany--cinque-terre--venice-and-rome
Malibu Creek State Park
✅ ✅ due to that pesky covid thingy... had to push back to October... sorry for any inconvenience ✅ ✅
⭐️ GLAMPING!!! / BYOT (Bring Your Own Tent) ⭐️
COME 1 DAY OR 2 DAYS...
MASSIVE / VERY SECLUDED SPOT with PICNIC TABLES, SINKS, OAK TREES, SHOWERS and REST ROOMS!! Friday June 11th, 2PM till noon Sunday June 13th...
✅ PAYMENT DETAILS AT BOTTOM OF PAGE ✅
🅿️ PARKING LOT is big enough for 25 cars... so people should try to fit 2.5 people per car on average. ADMISSION into the park is approx $12 per car per day... 🅿️
If parking lot is full, there's TONS of parking in the lot, 1/4 mile from the campsite... (you can drop off your stuff in the closer parking lot, then park in the designated lot)
FRONT GATE CLOSES FOR "INCOMING" VEHICLES AT 10PM
POT-LUCK FOOD and LIBATIONS
SMARTPHONE / GOOGLE MAPS: MAP HERE (https://goo.gl/maps/m2hDaw7qcnk)
Conditions may be too dry for ANY kind of fire... bring portable burners / Jet-Boils if you need them to prepare food.
short hike during the days and optional night hikes...
2 OVERNIGHTS at the campsite...
🌸 HERE'S THE ITINERARY and some INFO!! 🌸
FRIDAY we can start setting up tent as early as 2PM... or come after work and set up any time... - OR come on by Saturday; your choice!!
we'll do a series of hikes over the couple of days, including a late night hike
like last year, we'll have the "Fiesta-Pod" playing 80's dance music
(there's a water pump near the campsite, if anyone's got a small inflatable pool, that might be cool!!)
(people arriving late can stay around the campsite and do "whatever ya want")
we have to be out by NOON on Sunday
it's around 120 yards from the parking lot to the campsite
there's 6 restrooms, 6 sinks, 4 showers and 10 picnic tables
CAMP FIRES DEPEND ON WEATHER CONDITIONS, but personal propane / Jet-boils are OK
I got the music covered
bring food for POTLUCK dinner, and breakfast
bring a CHAIR / hammock
bring LIGHTS / GLOWSTICKS if you got 'em!!
"corn-hole game" / beach balls / and that sort of thing might be fun as well
🍕 Potluck Food Schedule is by BIRTHDAY 🍕
(these are just suggestions)
Jan Feb March July - Protein
Apr May June - Veggies or Salad
Aug Sept Oct - Pasta or Carb
Nov Dec - Fruit or Desert
everyone bring your own beverages, plates / glasses / utensils / napkins
***if you have a specialty that doesn't fit into your category feel free to go for it, it's just a suggestion and nobody will check your ID.
GOOGLE MAPS / SMARTPHONE LINK HERE (https://goo.gl/maps/m2hDaw7qcnk)
***no refunds after May 15 th... but you can go down the waitlist if any and find someone to buy your spot
✅ FEE IS $29 PER PERSON !! ✅
😀 pay via PayPal: [masked]
😀 or Venmo: @HikingLA
***after signing up, you'll have 1 week to make payment... if no payment is made within the week, you'll be moved to waitlist, but will be reinstated upon payment...