SPECIAL PROGRAM, THIS IS THE 11th OF 12 CLASSES
6:30 PM - 6:55 PM SHARP: DINNER IN THE IT DIVISION BOARDROOM, THANK YOU MICROSOFT!
7 PM - 8:30 PM: CLASS TIME, THANK YOU INTERKNOWLOGY!
Do you want to really understand the new features of Windows 8 and how you can leverage them in your very own application? Join Kevin Stumpf and Danny Warren from Interknowlogy, to learn how to develop Windows Store applications for Windows 8. The course is designed for developers of all skills and backgrounds, and is a comprehensive look at all of the major features and capabilities of Windows 8 using Visual Studio 2012, XAML and C#. A Hackathon will run throughout the course with prizes and certificates awarded at the end.
Important: You can always join this class. While it helps, it is not vitally important that you attend every single class. In each session, we will develop a new sample application from scratch which leverages the discussed features.
Every participant is expected to have a Windows 8 system with Visual Studio 2012 up and running. Please refer to http://blogs.interknowlogy.com/2012/11/21/development-environment-for-windows-8/ for a list of options to upgrade, if you are a Windows XP or Windows 7 user. If you run into any problems, please use the comment section of the blog post.
Please note: A Surface RT device will not run Visual Studio 2012 and is therefore not the recommended device if you want to actively develop during the sessions.
What to expect from this session
InterKnowlogy has developed a lightweight framework that allows you to easily leverage the powerful MVVM-Architecture pattern in your own application. Join us to learn how!
The entire course consists of the following sessions:
1. Introductory Lecture (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/87939512/) (Nov 27th by Danny & Kevin)
2. Introduction to XAML and WinRT's powerful Control Framework (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/93054202/)(Dec 4th by Danny & Kevin)
3. Page-Navigation Model and Application Lifecycle (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94231612/) (Jan 8th by Danny)
4. Fundamentals (Async/Await, WinRT API, Security) (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94231992/) (Jan 15th by Kevin)
5. Settings and Search Contract (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232082/) (Jan 28th by Danny)
6. Share Contract (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232262/) (Feb 4th by Kevin)
7. Live Tiles and Background Tasks (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232412/) (March 18th by Kevin)
8. Orientation Handling and Proximity using Near Field Communication (NFC) (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232572/) (March 25th by Danny)
9. Introduction to ModelViewViewModel (MVVM) (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232632/) (April 8th by Danny)
10. InterKnowlogy’s WinRT MVVM Framework Session Part I/II (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232752/)(April 22nd by Kevin)
11. InterKnowlogy’s WinRT MVVM Framework Session Part II/II (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94232842/)(May 6th by Danny)
12. Presentation of Hackathon Results + Certificate/Prize Giveaway (http://www.meetup.com/vNext-OrangeCounty/events/94233072/)(May 20th by Danny and Kevin)
This session will be held at Saddleback College in room BGS-235 (Look at the yellow arrow...to view larger, use your OS's Zoom):
Those who are attending all need to RSVP HERE ON VNEXT'S SITE, no matter where you come from (other user groups, etc). This will be the central location for all communication on what is happening for each & every class. YOU WILL NEED TO GET A PARKING PERMIT. Kim Schmidt will provide you with one.
Danny Warren is a Software Engineer at InterKnowlogy in Carlsbad, CA. Danny began acquiring his expertise in software engineering and .NET at Neumont University in Salt Lake City, Utah where he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science. Danny’s passion for technology has led him throughout the Microsoft Stack including WPF, Silverlight, WCF, Windows Phone 7, and the Microsoft Surface. Danny has an expertise in NUI (The Natural User Interface) having built numerous multi-touch and gesture based interfaces for software applications across a broad spectrum of devices. Currently his passion includes building Metro/WinRT Applications for Windows 8 driven by gesture based interface with the Microsoft Kinect. Danny is a Microsoft Certified Professional Developer, obtaining certification in .NET 4. When not building beautiful software, Danny is an outdoorsman and family man. He loves to camp, hike and mountain bike. Follow him on twitter @dannydwarren