- Dec. 8 - Friday NIGHT the Christmas Walk in St. Louis HillsFrancis Park, St. Louis, MO
The map shows a way to get to the meeting point avoiding the traffic that Candy Cane Lane usually makes (Jamieson to Neosho to Donovan). Join us for a walk through the historical St Louis Hills neighborhood on to see an over-the-top display of Christmas lights and spirit.
I have limited the number of attendees to 30 so if you sign up and decide not to attend make sure that you change your RSVP. This will open up spaces for those on the waiting list.
We will meet at the northwest corner of Francis Park, at the intersection of Nottingham and Donovan (Nottingham High School -- 4915 Donovan Ave, St. Louis, MO 63109), and walk for approximately 3 miles finishing up with a walk down Murdock aka "Candy Cane Lane." At Candy Cane Lane they usually serve hot dogs and hot chocolate so bring you money along. The proceeds go to charity. The last couple of years we got a fire engine ride so make sure you dress warmly. You may want to bring a small flash light since the city sidewalks are uneven. There are no restrooms available so make sure you stop on the way and relieve yourself.
After the walk we will go to a members house for a party. Please bring some food to share and what you want to drink.
From I-44 westbound take the Arsenal exit and turn right. The left turn on Jamieson is a short distance from the exit. Take Jamieson south to Delor St. Go left (east) on Delor to Donovan, and left on Donovan to Nottingham.
From eastbound I-44, take Jamieson south to Delor St. Go left (east) on Delor to Donovan, and left on Donovan to Nottingham.
From Watson Rd./Chippewa, take Jamieson south, left on Delor, and left on Donovan to Nottingham.
If your gps directs you to turn on Dovenshire, don’t. There is a good chance of a traffic jam at Devonshire-Murdock and Nottingham. Also avoid Neosho because last year it was one way or blocked off.
After the walk we will be going to one of the member’s home for a party. Please bring some food to share and whatever you would like to drink. I will be handing out directions to the party after the walk.
I would like to take this opportunity to remember you to be safe. DO NOT leave any valuables visible inside of you car. Put valuables in the trunk or glove compartment. If you know someone else who is going on our meetup, try to carpool. My cell number is 314-306-3222.
What to bring:
- WATER – THIS IS IMPORTANT ALL YEAR LONG AND ESPECIALLY IN THE WARMER MONTHS. WE WILL USUALLY BE OUT FOR AT LEAST 1 ½ HOURS AND THAT IS TOO LONG TO GO WITHOUT REPLENISHING THE LIQUIDS THAT YOU WILL BE BURNING WHILE WALKING. – I AVOID DRINKING CAFFEINATED BEVERAGES BEFORE WALKING. THE ARE A LOT OF GOOD ARTICLES ABOUT “effects of caffeine and exercise” ON THE Internet OR ASK YOU DOCTOR.
- Dress in layers (not sure what the weather will do). The top couple of layers should be easily unbuttoned or unzipped to allow easy ventilation. Wear a hat.
- I recommend broken in hiking shoes over Tennis shoes. A lot of the trails are over loose gravel and dirt and the treads on the hiking boots work much better.
- Snacks – EAT LIGHTLY BEFORE THE WALK AND BRING A POWER BAR OR SNACK TO MUNCH ON DURING THE WALK.
I will try and make a decision to cancel because of weather by 4:00pm.