What we're about
Are you looking for a supportive group that meets consistently and help you build meaningful relationships? Do you enjoy small-group discussions where you can be candid about your life's issues and share them with others and empower others? Do you want to meet other interesting people here in NYC and grow professionally, emotionally and socially? Do you like coffee and East Village? ;)
Hi, we are Junto NYC, biweekly discussion group dedicated to self-improvement, group collaboration and goal-setting. We talk about everything including meditation, social skills, improving our public speaking skills and how to get ahead in our financial and professional lives. Most importantly, we commit to biweekly accountability goals which we publicly announce to the entire group. Research (aka Google) says that committing to goals in front of others who hold you accountable are 4 times more likely to reach those goals!! We commit to SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-Bound) goals like physical fitness (i.e. working out 4x a week), talking to 5 strangers/week to help overcome fear and social anxiety, following through on projects and more.
We welcome all genders, all religions, all races, all backgrounds, especially those who are new in town to NYC.
Meeting Agenda will be comprised of:
1. Individual Intro ---> New and old members will quickly introduce themselves, what they do, where they come from, etc.
2. Group Round Table --> Every member shares obstacles, issues, problems, achievements, and current events in their lives + things they want to improve on in our supportive, non-judgmental listening group environment.
3. Public speaking practice --> Improv talk round table. Every member will get asked a different question and be asked to share a story about their life for 2-3 minutes each. In the future, a member could volunteer to give a 5-minute prepared speech in front of all members.
4. Self-Improvement and Literature Discussion of the Day --> sharing latest self-improvement concepts, best workout programs, practices, books, literature and events. We will all read together and have a small group discussion about practices like neuroplasticity, meditation and books written by best-selling authors.
5. Public commitment to new goals and review of last week's performance --> Every member will commit to 2-3 major goals for the upcoming week and also talk about how they did on last week's performance.
6. End of meeting. Announcements and share volunteer activities we can get involved with.
7. Coffee & Food outing for those who are free to mingle! (small talk, etc)
Hi, my name is Terry Bu and I'm committed to the goal of helping others and creating purpose-driven groups that bring people together to share and grow. I graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2011 and has worked at companies like Ogilvy & Mather and Verizon in both client-facing business development and engineering roles. I've performed stand-up comedy in the NYC underground circuit for 4+ years and was invited to perform at Standup Comedy 360 Festival and clubs like Broadway Comedy, Greenwich Comedy and Gotham Comedy Clubs. I have experience as a public-speaking coach and counselor at Thumbtack helping numerous individuals, ranging from inner-city Christian pastor who wanted to improve the impact of his sermons, to a Managing Director at a Fortune 500 company wanting to include more humor in his business conversations. My interests include meditation, reading, weight-lifting, snowboarding, tennis, playing the guitar, travel, religion and evolutionary biology.